Last week we received six to eight inches of snow. So any plans I had to start mapping and cutting out the new gardens were thwarted. Taking advantage of the cold weather and snow-covered ground I decided to complete my cold frame. My friend Dylan and I cut the sides out a few weeks ago. Today, I cut the front and the back, and added the hinges.
After the front and back were cut I used extra lumber to make the corners. I used corner clamps to hold the pieces in the correct place.
Getting the back together was probably the hardest part of the base. Getting all the pieces to stay in place can be tricky. The corner clamps help a lot. I also used a lot of clamps to keep it all together.
You can read about the window frame construction on an earlier post.
The only part of the new of the cold frame were the hinges. The rest of the materials I had on hand or purchased used materials. This cold frame is going to sit on our back porch so I am going paint it to match colors on our house.
If you have any specific questions about the process I used please feel free to ask.
Last week I was having trouble with rodents eating some of my seedlings. I had created a fortress that was mildly successful. I found some plant covering and cut a piece off and created the “Super Fortress”.
I also re-planted the plants that I had lost. I am just waiting for them to come up.