Some weeks the work around the Micro Farm revolve completely around plants and plant care. Other weeks, like this past week, work revolves around preparing a place for plants. When work is not directly plant and plant-care related often it is focused on soil improvement.
Project one was moving the herb bed. I wanted to get control over the herb bed which has been assaulted by a very aggressive mint. My plan is to relocate the herbs that I want to keep, and then figure out what to do about the mint bed.
Creating the new herb bed posed one problem. There was a large metal pole in the area I wanted to plant in. I had tried to find a way to use the pole so I would not have to dig it out. However, none of my ideas were visually appealing to my taste. So dig it out was the best answer.
I will get some more cardboard, then lay a mulching layer of pine needles down, finally transplant the herbs into their new home.
My local furniture company gave me a king-bed box, which was awesome. I was able to cover last year’s luffa bed, which is now extended. My goal is to plant this bed with plants that I will use to barter with my neighbor who currently sells us eggs.
I was also able to mulch another large area. This area I covered with composting black plastic and pine needles. It covers quickly. I have used this plastic the past three years and it works well. The only down-side is that it is more expensive than the free cardboard I have been getting.
A few plant notes. I was excited to see the Niagara grapes start to bud break.
I am always nervous when working with a new plant. There is so much to learn, and I do not have a “feeling” for the timing of how things work. I am pleased to see them doing well.
Next to the grapes are the red raspberries. Unfortunately, I do not think the over-winter canes did very well.
I am going wait and see what happens with last year’s canes. If they do not leaf I will cut them. These raspberries fruit on the previous year’s canes so it appears there will be no spring raspberries on the Micro Farm this year. It is possible I will get a fall crop, if they follow their history.
Plants sales are going on almost every day in our area. I have a couple that I like to support. One is at a local vocational high school.
I may have gone a bit overboard with the marigolds. I use many of them to border my gardens. They help keep the insects I do not want away. But 96?
We have been getting adequate rain, and expect more this week. The rain barrels are full and I have been using them regularly. I enough water so far that I have not hooked up the hose at the house. It is great to not have to spend energy to pump up water from the ground to put it right back in when I water my plants. Now that they are hooked up, I have focused on making them a bit more attractive than giant, blue barrels that I am sure my neighbors love looking at. I found a couple of spray paint products that cover plastic. The one I picked up appears to work very well.
I think it looks less conspicuous and is more appealing.
Well, things are progressing on the Micro Farm. Planting transplants is coming soon. It has been tempting to put them in the ground, but late last week we had a frost warning. I can not risk it, I do not want to lose my plants now. To much work and time has gone in to them. They are doing well where they are. But, the time is coming.
Enjoy this season, learn from last season, and look forward to next season.